Tiger Muay Thai / MMA / BJJ Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand Message Board

  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
TMT Staff

New Visa Laws are in effect as of Dec 2, 2008.

If you come in to Thailand by getting a 30 day VISA on arrival and want to extend by doing a VISA run to the border, you will only be granted a 15 day extension rather than the usual 30 day extension.

For those guests that get a 30-90 VISA from Thai Embassy outside of Thailand, you will still be granted an additional 30 day extension if you make a border VISA run.

The best way to stay in Thailand longer than 30 days is to ask our internet manager for an Invitation letter and documentation for application at the nearest Thai embassy to your location in your country.Many guests are granted from 90days - 1 year VISA by applying at your nearest Thai embassy with paperwork from documentation from Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Training Camp.

For guests that come to Thailand and get 30 day entry VISA at airport, you also have the option of making the Penang, Malaysia VISA run. It costs 4500 baht and takes 2 days, includes transportation, hotel, and transfers to embassy. You will be granted a 60 Day Visa to Thailand which you can then extend another 30 days at Phuket Immigration.

If you have any questions concerning your VISA or what you need to do to stay and train longer than 30 days, please contact Tiger Muay Thai for help with all your needs at info@tigermuaythai.com

Chok Dee krup


wow I was expecting a 90day-1year visas with no visa runs when i read the title
David Evans
Be careful going to thailand on a greater than 30 day itinerary.  I went with a 35 day itinerary direct from Sydney - Phuket and the Jetstar check-in staff would not allow me to leave, claiming that I would be turned away at Phuket Airport (this is a common belief amongst travellers, travel agents etc but I found it to be false).  I was charged just over AU$100 to change my return flight to make a 30 day itinerary and now that I have returned I have to seek a refund via mail (they refuse to deal with it by telephone).

Another option is to seek a student visa from the consulate on the grounds of learning muay thai, and this should be considerably longer than 30 days with no worry about repeating my situation.


TMT Staff
Sawasdee David,

Makes no sense why JetStar would try to make you change flight schedule.
After your 30 day Visa in Thailand was over you would have had the options:
1. Pay 500 baht per day over stay fee and go home.
2. Make Visa run to Ranong border and get two-week extension, or any other of the Visa runs available.
3. Change your flight in Thailand.

Thailand does appreciate foreign visitors getting a Visa from one of their foreign embassies if you are staying longer than 30 days in country, but it is not Thai law.

Chok Dee Krup

Will @ TMT Phuket


from the info i have found you can only get a 30 day visa - where do i find the info on hoe to get a 60 or 90 day visa without having to do a boarder run?

TMT Staff
Sawasdee Lizzie,

Please send me an e-mail at info@tigermuaythai.com and I'll be happy to send you invitation documents so you can apply for extended VISA to Thailand.

Chok Dee



hey just a question, i am leaving the u.s. and heading to tmt on the 27th, i will be there for 3 months. i was given an invitation and have done some reading but i really dont want to screw anything up. im confused as to what im supposed to do with the invitation and when i should do so, do i just fill it out and bring it to thailand with me to turn in when i get to the airport? or do i need to do something before hand, and also will my debit card be fine to use in thailand. i apologize if these are dumb questions, i am going to be on a very tight budget so i want to make sure i dont make any mistakes that are going to cost me any extra money, being that i wont have it. thanks a lot

TMT Staff
Sawasdee Ryan,

You need to contact your nearest Thai Embassy to apply for a 3-month VISA with the documents we sent you. You will fill out the invitation letter with details and an application from Embassy.
I would contact the nearest Thai embassy to your location today, explain that you are coming to study Muay Thai for 3 months in Thailand, have the invitation letters and documents and follow their advice.
If you arrive in Thailand without VISA, you will be given a 30 day VISA-on-arrival and will have to make VISA run while in Thailand to get an extension to stay additional two months.

Please contact us at info@tigermuaythai.com with any questions you may have.

Chok Dee



I'll be there for the month of February and I'm curious about the whole Visa situation...

I'm coming from New York (US) for just under 30 days.  Do I need to visit the Thai consulate to get a 30-day Visa?  This is all new to me so thanks for any help you can give.


Dan, the way I see it is what TMT staff mentioned in their last post: "If you arrive in Thailand without VISA, you will be given a 30 day VISA-on-arrival"
 With respect
TMT Staff
Sawasdee Dan,

No, you do not need to apply for a VISA to Thailand if you are staying with us less than 30 days.
You will be issued a 30 day VISA on arrival at Immigration at airport.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at info@tigermuaythai.com

Chok Dee


Hi, I'm planning to come to TMT for 3 weeks and then go to Malaysia for few days, before continuing my holiday in Thailand for another 3 weeks. Do I need to apply for a visa?

TMT Staff
Sawasdee Maria,

No, you will get a 30 day VISA on arrival through immigration at the airport.
You can then continue your travels to Malaysia 3 weeks later.
If you come back into Thailand, you will be issued another 30 day VISA

Chok Dee


hi, i have been training here just over 3 months now and my visa is expired, i did a penang run but they only gave me 15 days because the visa is expired... any way of getting a completely new visa? i plan to stay at least 6 more months


So it turns out I cant count right and what Ii thought would be 30 days in your camp is now 32, so im wondering if I land in Bangkok and tell them I'm returning after 32 days will I pay the 1000 baht fine. It probably works out cheeper then doing a border run. Is this possible or would I run into problems.

Also I'm flying out on Monday so I have no time to get a visa in my country. Im from the Rep Of Ireland by the way.
TMT Staff
Hi Mick,

Sounds like your best bet would be to pay the overstay fee (500 baht per day).
You can pay it when you are leaving, they will check for it at the airport. No you will not get in trouble.

Thanks, TMT staff

Ashley M

I'm planning to come to TMT around Jan/Feb 2011 (I know this is a year away but I'm currently working/studying/saving, etc).

I was originally planning on staying for just 3 months but now I'm thinking about extending it to a 6-8 month stay (more depending on how much I save).

How do I go about getting a visa approved for this amount of time? I have tried reading the forums on thaivisa.com but I just end up getting more and more confused. One option I was told was to apply for a double entry tourist visa which will give me 2 months each plus then I can extend them for an extra 30 days each with a visa run. Are visa runs still allowed for 30days or are they now limited to 1 run for 15 days max?

The other option would be to apply for a (1 year) non-ed student visa but again I've read that these are rarely issued.

How far in advanced should I apply for a visa? Do I need an invitation from TMT? Also if all does go well and I am granted an extended stay visa with the TMT invitation- do I need to train at TMT the whole time or am I free to go to another gym for a few weeks?

Lastly- if I was to stay in the accommodation on the TMT camp for 6+ months (most likely in the Tropical Garden Bungalow) can the per month price be reduced?

I'd be paying for everything by the month just in case I injure myself in the first couple of weeks of training.

Sorry if these are repeated questions- I've tried reading into it but every time people tell me something different.

Anything you can tell me would be great.

Ashley M
TMT staff
Hi Ashley,

Traveling to a foreign country is a big deal, so I will try and clear up some of your questions.

You are right, a 1 year ED visa requires an invitation letter from the camp. We are rarely issuing these now because many people were abusing these invitation letters and using them for extended travel instead of actual training at the camp. The authorities are cracking down on this as well and fining people up to 500 baht per day if caught. They are still issued under certain circumstances, email info@tigermuaythai.com to see if you are eligible. If you are given an invitation letter from TMT,  yes you would be expected to train here the whole time.

Most people are issued a 30 day visa on arrival, depending on what country you are from. What country are you from? After the 30 days are up, you can do a visa run to a neighboring country. Most people are going to Malaysia, Kota Boru, Penang or Kuala Lumpur. You will be issued a 60 day visa when you do the Malaysian visa run. You could also go to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc. If you do a one day trip to Burma, then you will only be issued a 15 day visa.

The Tropical bungalows are not owned by Tiger Muay Thai so we cannot discount the price. You may be able to negotiate a bit with the bungalow owners if you pay up front.

 It is a good idea to pay 3 months at a time because you get the three months training discounted from 27,000 to 24,000 baht. If you injure yourself you can freeze your training time so you don't need to worry about losing that time.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email info@tigermuaythai.com

Thanks, TMT staff

Ashley M
Thanks for the reply.

I am from Australia, I've traveled to Thailand before but only on a 30 day entry visa.

I am definitely wanting to staying at TMT for as long as possible- I will email TMT with further questions, thanks!

One more question- Vat/Tax, has this been included on the prices shown on the web page? Or do I need to add extra on to them?

Ashley M
Adrian Shead

Hi Ashley

With regards to your question about TAX/VAT. If you pay by cash no other charges will incur so yes it is all included. any other questions you have please do not hesitate to ask me.


Jon p
Just out of interest, as VAT is included in the price, does this mean we can reclaim the VAT back when we leave Thailand?


TMT staff
Hi Jon,

Yes you can get VAT back when you are exiting Thailand at the Airport. If you plan to do this, please inform the camp receptionist when you are paying for training. She will make sure you receive the proper receipt that will allow you to get the refund. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to email info@tigermuaythai.com

Thanks, TMT staff

anyone ever have a problem getting a visa when your roundtrip ticket is way past your visa length?

want to buy a ticket for 5 months and have to send the itinerary to the embassy to get a 3 month visa..yet I can only stay in the country for 60 days? kind of confusing.

TMT staff
Normally people who need extra time do visa runs to neighboring countries. If you do not get approved for a three month visa, you will be issued a 30 day visa on arrival. Then you can do visa runs to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos etc. These visa runs are easy to do as there are companies that specialize in this and streamline the whole process.
So you can get a 30 day on arrival, then do two visa runs which would equal 5 months. Hopefully you will get your 3 month visa, then only one visa run will be necessary
If you have anymore questions please email info@tigermuaythai.com

Thanks, TMT staff

I was worried about the VISAs but seems these last replies really cleared up the situation for me.
I had tried looking at the Thai Embassy site but the pages 404 or bandwidth restrictions cut in meaning loads of their pages won't load up. Doh!

Thanks for the great forum! So much information has made it easy for me to plan my 3 month stay with you


Previous Topic | Next Topic

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!